Mosques across Blackburn and Burton close again after Coronavirus spikes

20th July 2020   •   article
by Barfi Culture Team
Twitter @barfi_culture.
Credit: Google Maps
Blackburn mosque declared itself closed on Sunday (19th July) after its imam tested positive for COVID-19.

The mosque also contacted around 250 people who attended a funeral there the previous week. A message by the mosque, according to the Lancashire Telegraph, said:

"Unfortunately our Imam who led the Janazah (funeral) prayer has been tested positive for COVID-19 and is recovering from the virus."

"Any future Janazah prayer will consist of 30 people only and all COVID-19 Janazah will NOT be allowed in the Mosque as we experienced this week, this must take place in the Blackburn Cemetery."

Funerals are supposed to be limited to 30 people.

The mosque is now being investigated by police and health officials, according to the BBC. A Jamia Ghosia representative said they thought there were no restrictions on numbers if hygiene and distancing measures were in place.

Last week officials had to put Blackburn with Darwen into special restrictions after seeing a spike in Coronavirus cases.

Meanwhile, all mosques in Burton have been closed as a precautionary measure after the town also saw a spike in cases among Asian families.

Local mosque leaders told ITV they hadn't closed due to specific cases but to stay on the safe side.

Share this:

About us

Barfi Culture is a news-magazine on South Asians living in Europe and North America. We are independent, committed to truthful and trusted reporting, and we want to cover our communities as they deserve to be. More here.

Follow our work on Facebook, on Instagram or via Twitter
Coronavirus: coping through it

We are committed to informative and helpful coverage on the pandemic. More here